Spending more time on your feet and less time sitting will make you live longer
This is the conclusion of a study of more than 200,000 Australians that adds to the many research showing that spending too much time sitting each day has negative consequences for our health.
How dangerous is it to spend many hours sitting?
Spending too much time in front of the television, the computer, or just too much time sitting increases the risk of death, but the current study has found the relationship between the total hours we spend sitting each day and the probability of dying in the next three years.
Passing people sat more than 11 hours a day had a 40% higher risk of dying in the next 3 years than people who sat less than 4 hours a day.
A clearing was found dose-response effect- The longer you sit, the greater the risk of death.
Physical activity can reduce this risk
The new study found that while it does not eliminate the risk of death, the exercise helps reduce it But with nuances. Although the risk of death was much lower if they exercise 5 hours a week or more, there is still a high risk if the active person spends a lot of time sitting.
Tips to reduce the time we spend sitting
- Get up and rest every 30-45 minutes.
- Get up to take phone calls.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Don't eat your lunch at the table where you work.
- Try standing or walking your meetings.
- When you have to consult something with your coworker, get up to his work table, instead of calling or sending him an email.
Source: van der Ploeg HP, Chey T, Korda RJ, Banks E, and Bauman A. Archives of Internal Medicine. More information.
- The danger of sitting too many hours a day
- Exercises that can be done in the office
- The benefits of walking for our health