What to see and visit in Granada?
Castles and Palaces in Granada
The Alhambra: Alcázar and the Generalífe: c / Real, s / n. It is located in the Barrio de la Ciudad Vieja. It was the official residence of the Emir of Granada and Sultan of Al-Andalus, Ibn Yusf b. and founder of the second independent dynasty of Granada. He built an impregnable fortress on the outside, but a paradise on the inside.
It is located between the Dauro and Genil rivers and on the Al-Sabika hill, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. It was built in 1234, it was called Alhambra because it was built in red or red earth.
The decoration was done by Sultans Yusuf I and Muhamed V. There is a perfect harmony between the design of the gardens and the architecture of the entire enclosure. In Nasrid times it was called, The Forbidden City of the Alhambra.
The Alhambra It was a palace, a city and a fortress It was the residence of the Nasrid sultans and their family, the high-ranking military and service, between the 13th and 15th centuries.
Currently, 3 parts can be highlighted: the palaces (the Alcázar, Palace of Carlos V, Palacete del Partal), the Alcazaba thirteenth century or the military zone, the Medina or the city and the Generalifeo gardens.
The Generalife gardens were built in the 13th century, as summer place for the Nasrid monarchs, far from the Palace and worries. They are made up of forests of Mediterranean tree species, romantic gardens and flowers, and orchard.
In the Palace of Carlos V, incorporated into the enclosure in the 16th century, is currently located the Museum of Hispanic-Muslim Art and the Museum of Fine Arts. At present they are the framework of Granada Music and Dance Festival, every year.
The most notable are: Palacete del Partal, the Hall of the Kings (ballroom of the 14th century), Hall of the Abencerrajes, Patio de los Leones (Mohamed V), Patio de los Arrayanes, Mexuar Room (Sultan celebrated the council of ministers and visited them), Hall of Ambassadors from 1335 ...
- House of Shots: c / Cementerio de Santa Escolástica, 19. Oalacui in Mudejar style, which was built from 1510 to 1540. It belonged to the Granada Benegas family. Highlights: the Golden Square (living room), its façade on which the sword of Boabdil is carved and the statues of Mercury, Hector, Theseus and Jason are spit out. The Museum of Arts and Custom is located in it.
- Madraza Palace: c / Oficios, 14. It was the headquarters of the old Arab University. During the reign of the Catholic Monarchs it was converted into the Casa delos Cabildos. The facade is from the 18th century. in the Moorish-style living room, there is a mihrah wonderful.
Granada Cathedral and Churches
- Cathedral: c / Gran Vía, 5. It is located in the Old Quarter. It was founded by the Catholic Monarchs in 1505. They built it next to the Great Mosque, in Gothic style and its architect was Enrique de Egas. But soon, in 1563 it was enlarged and remodeled, changing the style. The architect Diego deSiloé made it the 1st Renaissance Church in Spain. Deella highlights: the Main Chapel for its enormity and its perfect harmony with the Renaissance style in each of its objects and each of the parts of the church; the dome; and the great central arch, which looks more like a triumphal arch. The Cathedral was enlarged using marble from Macael de Almería.
- Royal chapel: You enter through c / Oficios, 3. They had it erected by the Catholic Monarchs, in order to be buried there. Enrique de Egas began to build it in 1504. It is attached to the Cathedral, the Sagrario and the Lonja. Highlights: the Flemish carvings and paintings and the triptych dela Pasión by Dierick Bouts, which belonged to Queen Isabel la Católica. It is the most important work kept in Granada. In this chapel, which for the Catholic Monarchs represented the triumph of Christianity over the infidels, they wanted to be buried there, as well as their daughter Juana la Loca and her husband Felipe el Hermoso, the Infante Juan, the 1st wife of Felipe II and other monarchs, who During the reign of Felipe II, he was commissioned to transfer them to the Royal Pantheon of the Monastery of El Escorial. The Mausoleum of the Catholic Monarchs is made of Carrara marble and was made by Dominic Fancelli and that of Juana and Felipe el Hermoso by Bartolomé Ordóñez.
- Sagrario de la Catedral Church: Plaza Bib Rambla. It was originally a market for merchants, located near the Great Mosque, which is currently the Church of the Sagrario de la Catedral.
- Cartuja Monastery: Pº de la Cartuja. It was founded by Don Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, called the Great Captain, in 1495. It is in the Gothic style. Its Church is in the Andalusian Baroque style. It should be noted: the Churrigueresque style Sacristy in 1727, made by the architect Luis de Aréval and Luis Caballo) and the Dome by Antonio Palomino.
- Basilica of the Hospital of San Juan de Dios: It is baroque from the 18th century. It has an impressive Baroque cover framed by two towers with slate capitals. The nave is decorated and supported by Corinthian columns. It should be noted: the altarpiece of the Main Altar, which was designed by José de Bada and made by Francisco José Guerrero, in wood and the sculptures were made by Diego Sánchez de Saravia.In the Camarín, an urn is kept with the ashes of Saint John of God.
- Church of San Jerónimo: c / Rector López Argueta. It was founded by the Catholic Monarchs in 1492 in Santa Fe. It was moved to the capital and was built in 1500 with Arabic stone from the Elvira door, on the Huertas del Nubla de los Reyes Nazaríes. It was produced by: ElFlorentino, El Indiano and Diego de Siloé. The Great Captain was buried there. In this church styles intersect giving it that majestic, Renaissance and Gothic air. Its exterior is sober and impressive.The Grand Captain and his wife are carved above the front door. It has two cloisters: one Gothic and the other Proto-Renaissance.
- Church of Santa Ana: It is located in the Albayzín neighborhood. This 16th century Mudejar-style Church stands on a small square. Its elegant and plateresque facade and its ceiling is coffered.
- Sacromonte Abbey: Camino del Sacromonte, s / n. Founded in the 17th century. In its catacombs is buried Saint Cecilio, 1st. Bishop and Patron of Granada. They stand out: the Darro of 1567 realized by Juan de Maeda; it has an extraordinary Mudejar craftsmanship; the central nave, the transept and the Main Chapel. Its cover is from the Andalusian Renaissance by Pedro Orea from the 16th century.
- Monastery of Santa Isabel La Real: c / Santa Isabel La Real, in the Albayzín neighborhood. It was founded by Isabel la Católica in 1501. It was a palace of the Moorish kings, until Queen Isabel converted it into a Mudejar style convent.
- Granada Mosque: opened in 2003 in the Albayzín neighborhood. This act restores the link, lost for 500 years, between the two cultures. It consists of 3 bodies: the Garden, the Oratory and the Islamic Studies center. It is wonderful, each of its parts is a replica of one of the sacred or emblematic sites of the Islamic religion. The doors are open.
|You may be interested in:|