The Almansa Corridor Region is located east of Albacete, in an area between the plain of the Albacete region and the mountains (the Meseta), in the Sierra de Almansa. It limits the south with Murcia and the Tierras de Hellín; to the north with the region of La Manchuela; to the southeast with Alto Vinalopó; to the east with La Costera (Levante). It is an obligatory passage between La Meseta Castellana and the Valencia Community. The A-31 Madrid-Alicante crosses it.
The region has a population of approximately 52,000 inhabitants and an area of 2,441.42 km².
Landscape of this region is of the arid type and with gentle hills. It is not bathed by any river, but it has 2 saltwater reservoirs: Pétrola and Horna.
Thanks to the strong winds that hit the plain, the Wind Energy industry has experienced an important boom. It is an important region, with regard to the production of D. O. wines.
Municipalities of the Almansa Corridor Region
Almansa, Alpera, Bonete, Caudete, Corral Rubio, Chinchilla de Monte Aragón, Higueruela, Montealegre del Castillo, Pétrola, Villar de Chinchilla, Hoya Gonzalo. All of them belonged, until the 19th century, to the Señorío de Villena, which in turn was linked to the Kingdom of Aragon.
The origins of this population are Muslim. It became part of the Kingdom of the Catholic Monarchs in 1476 thanks to Prince Alfonso and his father King Fernando III. In 1778 King Carlos III granted it the title of city. Its Moors and Christians festivals are well known. Currently, it has about 25,500 inhabitants.
- The Sierra de Almansa It borders with Levantine lands. It has an interesting historic helmet and it was declared a Historic-Artistic Site. Due to its commercial tradition, the city has many shops where they prepare regional cuisine from La Mancha. Currently, Almansa lives from the shoe industry, guitars, shipyards, despite being far from the sea.
- Almansa Castle: Don Juan Manuel, in the fourteenth century, built the current castle on the remains of one that had been built by the Almohads. Later it belonged to the Marquis of Villena, whose shield appears on its facade.
- Church of the Assumption: It is neoclassical in style and was built between the 16th and 19th centuries. It has a single nave with a semicircular head and Corinthian columns. The façade is Renaissance and the tower is Baroque from the 18th century. The interior decoration was retouched in the 18th century by the architect Bartolomé Rivelles
- Palace of the Counts of Cirat (Plaza Santa María): its facade was made in a mannerist style. The palace consists of 2 bodies and highlights the inner courtyard, which is very large. Remember the style of Italian palaces.
- Convent of the Agustinas (Plaza de San Agustín): it was rebuilt in the 18th century by the architect Juan Fauquet. The Solomonic columns stand out, which frame the opening of its main door.
- Principal Theater: It is located on the corner of Calle Cervantes and Calle Federico García Lorca.
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Belén: it is a baroque style hermitage, which was built in the 17th century. It houses the patron saint of Almansa. It is on the road, which connects Almansa with Albacete. Highlights: the dressing room, the altarpiece of the main altar and the paintings of the dome, all of them made in the 18th century.
- Convent of San Francisco: it was built between the 17th and 18th centuries.
- The Sale of the Port: it was built in the 14th century.
The origins of this population begin 2,500 years ago BC. with the Iberians. But the historical vicissitudes have made it take many turns, since then they passed into the hands of the Tartessians, in the 6th century BC. J.C. it was conquered by the Greeks, then by the Carthaginians and in the year 216 a. J-C passed into the hands of the Romans. In the year 409 it was conquered by the Suebi and Alans, barbarian tribes, until it was conquered by King Theodoric I (Visigoth) and became part of the Kingdom of Toledo. In 713 it was conquered by the Muslims. In 1240 it was conquered by King Jaime I the Conqueror and became part of the Kingdom of Aragon. In 1244 it passed to the kingdom of Castile. In 1305 it passed to the kingdom of Valencia and in 1713 it passed to the kingdom of Murcia. Then in 1833 when the province of Albacete was created, it became a definitive part of this province. Since then it has been the patron saint of the Virgen de Gracia. Known are its Moors and Christians festivals. It currently has about 10,500 inhabitants.
It is located between Almansa, Alicante, Valencia and Murcia. In fact, a Castilian full of Valencianisms is spoken. Its municipality is located the Sierra de Oliva or Santa Bárbara, where the Micro-reserve of the Arenales de Caudete, in the Sierra de Cuchillos. (see Natural Parks of Albacete).
- Sanctuary of the Virgin of Grace: It was built during the Byzantine occupation and was a Benedictine monastery. Then in the 15th and 18th centuries it was rebuilt in Greco-Roman style, as we see it now. They stand out: the Museum of Mantos de la Virgen, being the one of the Virgin of Grace the best, it is of the XVIII century; and the dressing room of the Virgin also from the 18th century, which is made with Valencian peanuts from Alcora.
- Church of Santa Catalina: It was built on the city's main mosque, so some detail of that time remains. It was built in the 14th century, except for its square-shaped tower, which was built in the 15th century. In this temple Renaissance and Gothic styles are mixed.
- Caudete Castle: it was built on a hill, by the Arabs in the 12th century, in the neighborhood of La Villa. So it is currently in the center of the population. In 1360, during the War of the 2 Peter, it was partially destroyed and has had different functions through the centuries. In 2000 it began to be restored and has been recovered. Can visit. See schedules in Of. Tourism.
- Church of san francisco: it was inaugurated in 1910 and highlights its tower in the shape of an artichoke covered with blue and white tiles, Byzantine style.
- Las Arenas Bullring: It has a Neo-Moorish style. It was built in 1900 and inaugurated in 1910 by the Count of San Carlos.
Chinchilla of Monte Aragon
Legend has it that it was founded by Hercules, but the truth is that it was occupied by Muslims, who taught it to weave carpets and fabrics. In 1242 it was conquered by Don Pelayo Pérez Correa and throughout the Middle Ages it was a very important population. In the 15th century, together with Caudete, Pétrola, ... they belonged to the Señorío de Villena.
It currently has about 3,500 inhabitants. Its main resource is that of wind energy. In this municipality the Natural Reserve of the Sierra de Pétrola.
- town hall (Plaza de La Mancha): it was built in the 16th-18th centuries.
- Archpriest Church of Santa María del Salvador (Plaza de La Mancha): it dates from the 15th centuries and ended in the 16th).
- clock tower (Plaza de La Mancha):
- National Museum of Ceramics: houses the history of ceramics in the region, as well as the Levant. And it exhibits a compilation of said ceramics around the province.
- See photos Chinchilla
It also belonged to the Señorío de Villena and achieved its independence in the 19th century. It was part of the municipality of Chinchilla.
It has about 1,000 inhabitants. It includes the district of Anorias. Its main resource is the cultivation of cereals.
In this municipality the Sierra de Pétrol Nature Reserve.
- Parish Church of San Bernabé
It was part of the municipality of Chinchilla and the Señorío de Villena. Its independence, like the rest of the municipalities, was reached in the 19th century. It includes the districts of Casa Aparicio, Casillas de Marín de Abajo and Oncebreros.
- Church of Santa Quiteria: it was built at the end of the 18th century by the architect Lorenzo Alonso Franco, in a neoclassical style. The most remarkable are: an image of Santa Quiteria in the Gothic-Renaissance style and an image of San Antonio de Padua by Roque López.
It was part of the municipality of Chinchilla and the Señorío de Villena. Its independence, like the rest of the municipality, was reached in the 19th century.
It was part of the municipality of Chinchilla and the Señorío de Villena. Felipe II granted him the title of town and gave it to his subject Berasategui
It has about 2,600 inhabitants. The main resource of Alpera is agriculture: the vine, the cereals and the fruit trees.
- Church of Santa Marina
- Alpera Castle
- Hermitage of San Roque: It was built in the 18th century and is in the Baroque style. It is characterized by its Greek cross plan and its transept dome.
- Cueva de la Vieja: It was declared a Historic Artistic Monument in 1924 and a World Heritage Site in 1998 by UNESCO. Prehistoric cave with cave paintings classified as Levantine art. It was discovered in 1910 by Mr. Pascual Serrano.
- Cheese Cave: Prehistoric cave with cave paintings classified as Levantine art .. It was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1924 and a World Heritage Site in 1998 by UNESCO.
- Necropolis of Los Villares: Archaeological remains from the time of the Iberians have been found, including the figure of a rider and a horse, which are on display in the Museum of Albacete.
It is located 50 km from Albacete. It is a wetland area and the remains of what were Las Lagunas de Corral-Rubio belong to the Corral Rubio-La Higuera lagoon complex. It includes the district of La Higuera.
- San Miguel's Church: It is in the baroque style.
- Palace of the Casa Grande: which was built at the end of the 16th century.
|It may interest you:|
Guide of Alcalá de Júcar
Alcalá del Júcar is one of the jewels of Castilla La Mancha. It is located in the Northeast of Albacete on the path of the Júcar river right where the Júcar gorge offers us a spectacular landscape.
|More information about the province of Albacete:|