Assertiveness is a social skill that few people talk about. It is related to other skills such as Empathy or Emotional Intelligence, and it is necessary if you want to maintain successful and healthy relationships with all the people in your life.
You are in a restaurant and the waiter serves you a dirty glass, what do you do?
- You don't say anything and you use the glass reluctantly even knowing it's dirty.
- You make a fuss, you get up and tell the waiter that you'll never come back
- You call the waiter, tell him that your glass is dirty and ask him to please change your glass
Notice: 1. passivity, 2. aggressiveness, and 3. assertiveness.
Assertiveness is precisely in the middle. It is a combination of something clear and direct, but at the same time polite, kind and sincere.
Being assertive allows us to defend our rights and the rights that we believe to be fair ifneither offend nor be offended, without attacking nor being attacked.Being assertive implies being clear, direct, honest, polite, kind. Do not expose your ideas in an aggressive way or offend otherss.
Assertiveness is definitely a great way to express your emotions and opinions in the most constructive way for yourself and for others.
In this video we will talk about 7 steps on how to be assertive. Take note:
People will forget what you told them, even what you did to them. But they will never forget how you made them feel.
Feel free to leave your comments below sharing your thoughts. As always I wait for you in the next one. A big greeting and a hug, Andrea.
- What is Resilience (and why should we care)
- How to deal with toxic people
- 11 Clues That Prove You Have Emotional Intelligence