What to see and visit in Ciutadella?
It is a very beautiful town - not in vain Ciutadella is a Historical Monument.
The remains of the Arab occupation and the reconquest that took place at the end of the 13th century when Alfonso III expelled the Arabs and ordered to fortify the city are still preserved. Various palaces, churches and convents were built within the walls of Ciutadella, many of which remain today. It can be said that Ciutadella is like two towns in one: an old town and a new one. The old one is located within the walls of the old capital of Menorca, in the Gothic style. And outside, the new town with its port and modern and tourist buildings.
Ciutadella offers the visitor incredible coves between pine forests that reach the coast, in fact some of the most beautiful beaches on the island are very close to this town: Arenal de Son Saura, Algaiarens, Cala del Pilar, La Vall, Cala Morell, Cala Blanca, Cala Bosch. There is also an interesting set of caves very close to the village.
Monuments and sites of interest in Ciutadella
- The Cathedral of Menorca: 14th century, Gothic style built on the remains of a mosque.
- Municipal Museum of Ciutadellades Bastió de sa Font - prehistoric artifacts.
- The old helmet, where the walled city used to be, white streets of Arab and medieval origin.
- The Plaza del Borne.
- Roser Church: Baroque style.
- Alfonso III Square
- Cathedral Square
- Town hall, former palace of Alfonso III.
- Archaeological Museum of Ciutadella
- Quarries of s'Hostal: Labyrinth used as an amphitheater.
- Saura Tower: impressive neoclassical style palace.
The festivities of San Juan de Ciutadella (June 23 and 24) that are more than 6 centuries old and include a pilgrimage to the hermitage of the saint. Its main act is the cavalcade that, it is said, was established by the Knights of Malta. This is why a red flag with the Maltese cross presides over the entire party. The patron saint festivities are on January 17, San Antonio Abad Festivities whose origin is in the reconquest of Alfonso III in the thirteenth century.
Shopping in Ciutadella de Menorca
Among the typical products of here are footwear, cheese, costume jewelery, envelopes, leather goods ...
Recommended restaurants in Ciutadella
Typical dishes of Ciutadella are fish, cauldron, lobster, fish and seafood soups and fideons with sobrasada. You can look for these, or other delicious dishes in the restaurant Balearic coffee, It is Plade Sant Joan 15; or in Cas Ferrer of sa Font. In the port area there are various tapas bars where you can taste typical tapas from here.
Recommended hotels in Ciutadella:
- MenorcaSea Club**** - Very modern apartment complex, breakfast, snack and restaurant with pizzeria, supermarket, private parking, laundry service, 24-hour reception ...
- VivaMenorca**** - luxurious hotel on one of the most attractive beaches in Ciutadella, Cala Blanca. Swimming pools for adults and children, solarium with hammocks and umbrellas and 4000 m2. of large and well-kept gardens.
- GrupotelMacarrella**** - in another of the Ciutadella beaches, Cala'n Bosh. Rooms, conveniently furnished and decorated that offer an atmosphere of comfort and tranquility
|It may interest you|